Monday, December 31, 2012

一年容易又過去

I return in my thoughts to those I had met then. What has become of them? If Diogenes is no longer alive, it may well be that his sons are fighting. And strong, stocky, courageous Farrusco? Even if he did survive, he would be too old now to be in the trenches. But I remember him saying that a son had just been born to him. So if I were to meet a young officer on the Angolan front these days, ask him his name, and hear that it's Farrusco, I would answer: Years ago, I rode in a jeep with someone who had the same last name. Yes, the young officer would concur, that was my father.

And tall, silent Commandante Ndozi? Ndozi is no longer alive. He was blown up by a mine. Monti was also blown up by a mine. Powerful, cheerful Batalha as well. In these wars, enemies see each other face-to-face less and less frequently. They perish as they walk, while everything around them is empty and quiet. Death comes at them covertly, lying in wait under some sand, beneath a stone, under a clump of blackthorn. The earth was once the source of life, a granary, something desirable. Now, in these parts, man regards the earth suspiciously, distrustfully, with fear and loathing. With happened to Oscar? Perhaps he survived, and has retired. I would so much like him to have a good and peaceful old age. And Gilberto? I don't know, I cannot say. Felix? I also don't know. People disappear without a trace, so completely and irretrievably, first from the world, and then from our memory. 

And Dona Cartagina? I am almost afraid to think about it. What if she is no more? But this seems impossible. Without Dona Cartagina, I cannot imagine either Luanda, or Angola, or this whole war. That is why I am convinced that should you be Luanda, sooner or later you will meet a grey-haired old woman walking in the morning towards the Hotel Tivoli. She will be hurrying, because, just like every other day, a lot of cleaning awaits her. If you stop her and inquire, 'Excuse me, are you Dona Cartagina?' the woman will stop for a moment, look at you with surprise, and then politely answer, 'Yes, it is I.'

And she will continue briskly on her way.



No comments: